Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Please be advised that Toho Water Authority is experiencing technical issues with our Telephone and Payment systems. We hope to have the issue resolved as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience.


​Registration rules for municipal advisors

Source: Securities and Exchange Commission

Every year, states and local governments issue municipal securities – most notably municipal bonds – to raise funds for various public projects such as building schools, roads and hospitals. Those who purchase municipal bonds usually receive interest payments on the principal amount they invest and a return of that principal amount after a period of time and the municipalities receive needed capital.

Municipalities that issue these securities frequently rely on advisors, who help to decide among other things how and when to issue the securities and how to invest the proceeds from the sales. In turn, these advisors receive fees for the services they provide.

To ensure compliance with standards for training, qualification, or conduct, including the treatment of conflicts of interest a municipal advisor is required to permanently register with the SEC if it provides advice on the issuance of municipal securities or about certain "investment strategies" or municipal derivatives.

Read the complete article

TWA's independent registered municipal advisor